What Should I Carry When Checking Into Rehab
Rehab treatment centres permit certain things and prohibit certain items; you should know the policy of your rehab treatment facility beforehand.
Treatment centres are enforcing stringent rules when it comes to contrabands and prohibited objects inside the facility. A recommended packing list is provided by most centres, which also provide you with a list of items that are prohibited.
The admission process begins as soon as you check in. The staff will carefully check your belonging to ensure you are not carrying any banned substance or item with you. All the details of what you came in with will be recorded in the patient property book.
You can carry the necessities with yourself. The policies on the kind of items you can carry will vary according to the centres.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
How To Get The Packing Information
Have a look at the "What to Bring" section of your clinic's website you don't know what is allowed and prohibited or queries about packing. You can also get this info on their website. Some centres are known to offer packing checklists, which is printable that you can refer to while packing. Contact your clinic's admission office if you don't find the material you need. They will be able to provide you all the answers to any questions you may have about what you can bring. At the same time, they can walk you through and guide you on what to expect prior, during and after admission.
What Most Rehab Centres Recommend You To Carry
Set of regulations are severer than others depending on each clinic.
For the better part, you are recommended to carry the following
- A list of names, addresses and telephone numbers of people you wish to have involved within your treatment [loved ones, healthcare professionals, twelve-step sponsors, etc.].
- Person ornaments that are used by the person.
- Other jewellery with no sentimental value should be left at home.
- A clock with an alarm but not one with radio.
- In other facilities, all necessities are provided and you are required to bring only yourself.
- You can also carry any prescription medications which you are presently using provided that they are in their original pharmacy bottle, and the original information from the label is intact.
- It is recommended that all liquid medications be newly purchased and sealed.
- A complete list of your maintenance drugs and other needed medications.
- Some money but not a lot of it.
- Credit cards that will be used to cater for the expenses inside the rehab.
- Bring along your insurance card as well as documents needed for personal identity verification.
- Call cards may be required in cases where long distance calls are accessible only through it.
- Your personal journal.
- Stamps and envelopes for mailing letters if you wish to.
- Photos of your family members and friends.
- Reading materials like books however, some centres provide them to you.
- If you wish to carry reading materials for yourselves, you must understand that the subjects must only be on the recovery, self-help and spiritually oriented.
- TIP Should you bring books, we recommend you to bring paperbacks as they are more handy than hardbacks.
What Type Of Clothing Is Necessary
Some centres have prescribed dress codes or limitations that you have to consider. You can prepare yourself by carrying a cloth that can be comfortable in all types of weather.
Pack only that many clothes which can be easily accommodated in your room.
You should carry enough clothing for a week because you will have access to a laundry machine within the centres. It is best to take along only those clothes that can be cleaned easily.
Keep the weather in mind and bring a seven day weather-appropriate set of clothes like.
- Shoes Comfortable shoes for everyday activities, sports and flip flops for the shower.
- Shirts Make sure you bring cardigans that should be worn with tank tops in order to respect the dress code.
- Shorts Lengths may be determined by the centre to comply with a dress code.
- One or two smart dresses for special occasions.
- Bathing suit One is more than enough.
- A coat/jacket.
- A bath robe.
- A belt, if needed.
- A hat it is possible that the centres may not allow hats indoors.
Products Recommended For Personal Toiletries And Beauty
Rehab centres require every toiletries and beauty products to be free absolutely from alcohol. While other centres may allow you to bring products with alcohol component as long as it is not listed as one of the top three ingredients. You will not be allowed to carry aerosols.
You should be taking along 30-day requirements of toiletries and beauty products, including
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair gels
- Feminine hygiene products
- Shaving cream
Items That Are Prohibited In Rehab
All rehabs have strict rules and do not allow certain prohibited items within the centres. These are important to warrant a safe environment that is conducive to your wellness and recovery. These are the screened contrabands
- Alcohol as well as drugs
- Prohibited prescriptions and other narcotics
- Weapons [guns, knives, sharp objects, scissors, etc.].
- Unsuitable videos
- Food or drinks
- Toiletries and beauty products which contain alcohol (mouthwash, perfume, etc.)
- E cigarettes
- OTC medicines that are not allowed and have been opened before
- Nail products
- Movie DVDs and games
- Sporting equipment
- Revealing attire (tank tops, sleeveless shirts, midriff bearing tops, etc.)
- Cleaning supplies [bleach, ammonia, etc.]
- Electronics [televisions, gaming consoles, etc.]
- Games and playing cards
- Candles and incense
- Clothing with profanity or references to drugs, alcohol or violence
While you might not expect certain things to be banned, like electronic products and sport equipment, but many centres do not allow them. The recovery procedure usually requires maximum concentration and that is why some items are not allowed. At times, your centre will provide these items
Most centres don't encourage consumption of too much caffeine and sugar, and that's why outside food and drinks are prohibited. You will get all the meals that you need on a daily basis. You should inform your facility beforehand in case you are on a special diet.
These Items Are Permitted By Some Clinics But Not Others
Because policies differ from centre to centre, it is possible to find that some items are allowed in one and not in another. While a number of things are prohibited across-the-board exceptions may be made by some facilities for the following.
- Your Laptop and Smartphone
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- Just don't forget to take the charger with you.
- Some centres consider your personal smoking liberty hence they allow you to bring your cigarettes.
- A limit to cartons available at these centres is usually established.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- These products must be new and unopened.
- They have to be closed and sealed.
- Music Players
- You might be permitted to bring along entertainment devices that can work without speakers and internet.
- Shutterbugs can rest assured that some centres will allow cameras that are not Internet capable.
- Disposable or Electric Shavers or Razors
- This depends on the rehab facility since it is considered dangerous.
- Disposable razors, however, are more often than not allowed.
- Nail Clippers
- Nail clippers may be banned by some centres, but this is not a common habit.
- Items To Make Your Room Feel Like Home
- The rehabs allow you to come with things that will make you feel as comfortable as possible just like you are at home.
- Just double check with your rehab centre if these are indeed allowed before stuffing them into your luggage.
Can I Have Prohibited Items Back Later On
If you arrive at the centres with some prohibited items without realisation you do not have to remain concerned. The person who brought you to the centres will be requested to carry the prohibited item's back home by the rehab centres. Your objects are kept for 24 hours in other centres until someone collects them. It is possible that the centre might store the item till your release day.
This is mainly in instances where the close relatives are far and cannot come immediately. You are therefore recommended to call your rehab centres before you leave home to double check their policies. You also need to be sure of the safety of your items if they are not allowed inside the facility. In case the centre doesn't store them, request them to send the items to your home address.
Packing For Rehab You are just required to follow the policies of the centres and ask plenty of questions if you are unsure about any items. The process becomes all the more simpler if you logon to the centre's website and save the packing checklist. The best thing is to make sure that you have essential stuff with you.
Get Assistance Today
No need to worry since some of the facilities accept most of the items that will make your recovery process as smooth as possible. We can help you identify a rehab centre that will be effective for you.
Contact us now on 0800 772 3971 so we can match a centre to your needs.