Defining Motivational Enhancement Therapy
Motivational Enhancement Therapy has assisted many people to recover by emphasizing change that is internally motivated in their targeted therapy sessions.
MET, also known as Motivational Enhancement Therapy, is an intrusion and guidance technique especially made to induce changes that are motivated internally. Typical other treatments, like the 12-step programs, are combined with MET to get the best results. MET is done in four focused treatment meetings, once the first study is done. The needs of the individual determine how the sessions will be carried out. Before treatment goals are set, the information that is acquired during the assessment is analysed in the initial sessions. Succeeding meetings give the individual the view and good support for remaining abstinent.
Motivational Enhancement Therapy (MET) works by helping dependent individuals figure out how to change their own particular considerations and practices.
Treating Addiction Using Motivational Enhancement Therapy
When an addict checks himself or herself into a drug rehab centre they undergo an evaluation to determine their specific treatment needs. Doctors usually observe an individual's physical changes as well as vital signs throughout abstinence from the substance.
MET advisors then work with patients to change their considerations and practices identified with medication utilize.
MET likewise helps treats co-happening mental clutters. Coexisting psychological wellness concerns are typical in dependent individuals since such conditions could be influenced by brain chemistry imbalance. Preventing setbacks and treating the mental issues are part of MET.
The typical mental issues treated by MET are
- OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- PTSD or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Eating disorders
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Other Treatments With Met
MET is rarely applied on its own and is usually a part of an addiction treatment program that normally includes Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, 12-step programs and other behavioural therapies. Patients are taken through various methods that attempt to get them to change their habits. For example, while the primary focus of CBT relies upon teaching patients to cope with strategies for stress, the 12-step program outlines specific steps with the sole intention to help addicts to become and stay sober.
Met Therapy Methods
There are five important components of MET which individuals and counsellors would deal with.
These are strategies, which have been identified as being helpful in encouraging feelings of motivational change among people who are suffering from drug addiction.
- Creating And Showing Compassion
- So they can appreciate the effects of their actions on others, patients are encouraged to become more empathetic.
- This may be utilised as a driving element for adjustment.
- Compassion likewise builds up a trusting relationship between a patient and specialist.
- Acknowledging the disparity between thoughts and reality.
- Individuals usually have some reluctance to rehabilitation, and should accept the truth that there is a space between the point where they believe they are and where they really are.
- It can be very revealing for the patient to notice this and this can prove a powerful motivation for them to change.
- Avoiding Arguments
- Specialists won't contend with their patients about the level of their medication or liquor manhandle.
- On the other hand, patients are provided the encouragement they need to display a positive response and outlook on MET.
- Part of the treatment process is accepting resistance.
- For some addicts it is hard to go through a treatment program, MET offers them the best possibility of doing it.
- Recovering addicts are engaged on a personal level by the therapists who look forward to helping them to realise how their behaviours are having an impact on their goals and relationships.
- Supporting A Recuperating Person Who Is Addicted Self-Viability
- Believing that they will accomplish their objective is important for patients.
- MET shows patients they have the ability to defeat dependence and to endeavour towards their life objectives.
- Positive thoughts and behaviours are encouraged by the therapists within the patients to reinforce the concept of self-efficacy.
Get Help For Alcohol Or Substance Abuse Now
We could assist if you or a loved one is experiencing liquor or substance dependency. Mental health counselling is essential during the treatment of an addiction, and this is a factor which has been realised by many inpatient and outpatient drug rehabs. To achieve sobriety and stay clean in the long term, contact 0800 772 3971 it is important to have the right motivation behind you.