How Medication Facilitates Drug Dependency Treatment
With the aim to manage withdrawal symptoms and avert relapse most treatment programs utilize prescription drugs. A recovering addict can easily be in a clear state of mind via the use of medications. The inability to successfully manage challenges of breaking from addiction is responsible for suffering a reversal from recovery.
Whether you receive treatment from home or stay in a facility, an addict can always receive some prescription drugs to manage the addiction. In order to speed up the rate of recovery from addiction, it may be necessary for physicians to alter the normal dose for an addict.
Studies show that some prescription drugs used to alleviate withdrawal dependency signs have similar signs.
Drug Detox And Withdrawal
Detoxifying the body is the first step towards overcoming addiction. Detox period is the name given to it. Based on the potency of the drug, the duration of detox ranges from several days to several weeks.
Challenges of managing withdrawal signs cause challenges to restrain from taking drugs. A series of disturbing feelings are witnessed by recovering addicts during detox.
These symptoms can include
- Extreme sadness
- Muscle pain
There are varied prescription drugs that are being used to treat the different withdrawal symptoms of the patient. Some medications that doctors prescribe during detoxification are
- The degree of nervousness and excitation response to stimulus are reduced via the aid of these drugs.
- Restlessness or anxiety is the most commonly observed symptom of drug abuse.
- Those dealing with quitting abuse of alcohol may find Benzos very useful.
- Because of the danger of dependence on Benzos, physicians don't freely give to their patients.
- Ridding the patient's system of the drug during detox meant removing its source of artificial inducer the happy hormones.
- Sadness is a common occurrence in patients undergoing withdrawal process from long standing historical dependency on drugs.
- Zoloft and Prozac are antidepressants that can assist comforting the side effects until the brain is capable to generate happy sensations - inducing chemicals on its own again.
- Clonidine decreases sweating, cramps, muscle pain and anxious feelings since this medicine is used to treat alcohol and other drugs withdrawals.
- Uncontrollable shaking of any part of the body and seizures can be terminated by Clonidine.
The history of the addict will determine how serious the problems he will face after quitting. The best hit are heavy addicts who have depended on drugs for years.
A detoxification from alcohol or benzodiazepines, such as Valium or Xanax, can be fatal, so people addicted to them should never quit "cold turkey." Even though the act of withdrawals from other medications and drugs might not pose any life-threatening situation, there is a probability for various complications to arise. Professional care offers immediate attention and safe environment during the detoxification process.
In case you are in pain from an addiction, speak to someone who can assist you now.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Medications For Alcohol Addiction
The duration of withdrawal symptoms can be extended from weeks to months, if there exists a constant abuse of alcohol. This incident is known as Prolonged or Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS).
In the event of PAWS, sustained treatment from addiction is necessary to prevent desire for drug abuse relapse. These medicines frequently come as a capsule that patients take every day.
Below are some medications used to treat alcohol withdrawal
- Naltrexone (Vivitrol)
- The brain's receptors in charge of making available the pleasing effects of taking alcohol is blocked by Naltrexone.
- It also moderates the desire to drink.
- Feeling pain in the head or nausea might be experienced as an effect of Naltrexone.
- At an interval of four weeks, it might be administered via injections.
- Acamprosate (Campral)
- This medicine alleviates mental and physical anxiety provoked by the addiction to alcohol.
- Shortly after detox, the recovering patient can begin with this drug.
- Acamprosate decreases the desire to drink by avoiding adverse sensations such as anxiety and depression.
- Disulfiram (Antabuse)
- Disulfiram provides tremendous treatment solution for alcohol addiction.
- The unique effect of this drug can be felt if alcohol is taken as it induces Dizziness and vomiting.
- Drink while taking Disulfiram and get sick, that is the rationale behind this medication.
Discover alternative ways of alcohol addiction treatment.
Medications Applicable For Opiate And Heroin Dependency
Oxycontin, morphine, and Heroin are some sedatives that can be used. These opioid medications curb cravings and lessen the intensity of withdrawal. These come in tablet form and are taken on a daily basis.
For about 7 days, a few number of people may face health challenges arising from quitting some painkillers and Heroin. Withdrawal signs take a long time for others. It may take some people a couple of years or months to deal with these discontinuation problems. PAWS commitment to take medication is the solution. Usually, a former user can take medicines for as long as necessary.
Heroin and painkillers notable for dependency include
- In serious and mild cases, Methadone offers ideal drug addiction treatment.
- It works by interacting with the same receptors as the abused opioids but without the euphoric effect.
- This proves effective in cutting cravings and symptoms.
- Methadone is also a potentially addicting medication hence this is highly regulated despite its medical treatment benefits.
- In order to make it impossible to abuse this drug, health centres give their patients daily dosage only.
- Get more insight on Methadone.
- Buprenorphine (Suboxone)
- This is a lesser known addicting alternative to Methadone that is used in treatment centres.
- The people that take Buprenorphine frequently take the drug at home rather than going to a centre every day to get it.
- Naltrexone is used for treating alcohol dependency withdrawal signs similar to treating opium addiction.
- It stops the desire to use it.
- The drugs unique interaction with the brain allows its versatility.
Medical Detoxification And Rehabilitation
You can withdraw from drugs solely. When compared to detoxing with a specialist, this poses more threat and difficulty level. Withdrawal from abusing drugs with assistance of medical personnel is the safest way out. Alcohol or benzos drug addiction requires mandatory medical detox program to achieve.
A supervised detoxification is the first stage to treat any kind of addiction.
A supervised detoxification can relieve health problems. Doctors are able to trace patients heart rate, breathing and fluid levels. If the addict feels any discomfort, trained doctors are on hand to help him cope successfully. Medications are also regulated and re-calibrated depending on the patient's need. Getting rid of any toxin from your body should be the next line of action for anybody with other health challenges.
Problems like high blood pressure can withdrawal difficult. In which case, immediate medical care is invaluable to avert fatal effects of it.
Detoxification is an indispensable step regardless of inpatient or outpatient program. 30 to 90 days is normally the duration of an inpatient rehabilitation. The initial week comprises of a series of detox closely observed. Other areas of discipline are then being conducted to effectively administer the treatment.
You or family need assistance from drug addiction, don't hesitate to seek all inclusive medical detox now call 0800 772 3971.